Tattoo inks are one of the most important parts of tattooing. As a beginner you may be confused about the types of tattoo ink that you need to get to start tattooing, however, it is quite simple. When you learn about how to use tattoo inks properly, it will no longer be a problem.
Tattoo inks come in many different shades, and formulas, some may work better than others, and in this article, we will explore all the different types of tattoo inks that you can buy as a beginner to get started.
List of Top Tattoo Inks for Beginners: By Best Feature
Buyer Guide: Important Things to Consider Before Buying Tattoo Inks for Beginners
Tattoo Inks come in many different colors, which one you need will depend upon your style of tattoos and the techniques used by you. The main color that every tattoo artist requires is black.
Black ink is required for lining, adding depth, as well as for darkening any other color, so you must get black ink as a beginner.
Other important colors include the primary colors – Red, Blue, and Yellow, which can be mixed to create different colors. White is also an important color, which can be used to give your colors a lighter tone.
However, if you want to make very colorful tattoos, then you should buy a pack of colors that includes different shades and tones of each color. This way you do not have to mix colors every time you are working on a new tattoo.
2. Amount of ink
Each ink bottle comes with a certain amount of ink, however, if you do not get enough ink in every bottle, you will soon run out. This is why it is important that you check how much you are getting in each bottle.
As a beginner, you should get bottles of ink that have at least 5ml of ink. If possible, always get more in quantity.
Just like paint, your inks need to be pigmented and saturated so that you can create the best art with it. Each ink is made with pigments that are usually diluted with water.
When you are shading a tattoo, you may have to use the colors in their full saturation, or mix some distilled water into it, to make the color less saturated.
You may also use a combination of different saturation of the same ink. For this purpose, you must choose inks that are highly pigmented.
While shading in a tattoo, you may need to blend two colors together to create a smooth transition.
If the colors do not mix with each other properly then the transition will appear harsh and uneven. This is why as a beginner it is very important to get inks that are highly blendable.
5. Good for mixing
Similar to the last point, the inks that you buy must be suitable for mixing with each other. Whether it is for blending two colors, or for creating a unique shade, you will need to mix your colors.
As beginners, you usually have to learn how to mix colors properly, therefore colors that mix well are always preferred.
Top 5 Best Tattoo Inks for Beginners
1. Intenze Tattoo Ink Set
Best For: High Quality Pigmented Colors
Intenze Tattoo Ink Set contains a set of primary ink colors along with black and white ink. The colors are True Black, Snow White, Opaque Mario Blue, Light Green, Bright Red, Lemon Yellow, and Light Purple.
This set of seven colors can be mixed and matched to create different shades and tones for your tattoos. The inks are vibrant and saturated, so you can expect amazing results with it. The different shades are perfect for new school, realism, and watercolor tattoos.
Key Features and Specifications of Intenze Tattoo Ink Set
- These inks are perfect for both artists as well as beginners, because of their high quality pigmented colors. They can be used on fake skin to practice as well.
- You will receive 1/2oz of ink in each bottle, which means you get enough ink to last you a good amount of time.
- The seven primary and secondary colors can be mixed with each other to create unique shades and tones, which are very useful for colorful tattoos.
- These Inks are pigmented and saturated, which allows them to last long on the skin without fading.
Pros and Cons of Intenze Tattoo Ink Set:
- As a beginner, you need to have a good quantity of ink, which is provided in these bottles of ink.
- The colors are long-lasting, so you can expect the tattoo to be vibrant even after many years.
- These ink bottles are sterilized and sealed carefully so you do not have to worry about contamination.
- These inks can be used on fake skin for practice, making them ideal for beginners.
- You do not receive an orange shade in this set, so you will have to mix it yourself.
Why is this Tattoo Ink is best for Beginners?
If you are a beginner who is still practicing and has not started to work on real skin yet, this set of tattoo inks is perfect for you. These inks are great for human skin, however, you can easily practice with them on fake skin and get similar results.
This set of 7 pigments allow you to mix and play with them to get the perfect shade that you need for your work. This is why we recommend this set of inks to absolute beginners who want to practice colorful tattoos on fake skin.
2. Bloodline Tattoo Ink Set 12 colors
Best for: Professional quality
Bloodline Tattoo Inks are one of the best Tattoo Inks in the industry. These bright and vibrant colors from Bloodline are great for all types of tattoos and you can expect them to stay vibrant for years.
These bottles come with 1oz of ink in each bottle and so you will not run out very quickly. The colors provided in this set of 12 inks are Bright red, white, black, blue, lime, tasty waves, stem green, morning glory, redd Kross, Mark orange, golden lotus, and canary yellow.
Key Features and Specifications of Bloodline Tattoo Ink
- These inks are one of the best in the industry, it is preferred by a lot of professionals, but it is great for beginners as well.
- Bloodline Tattoo inks are made from high-quality pigments.
- You get a good amount of ink in each bottle so you do not have to worry about running out easily.
- The 12 shades give you a lot of options to work with, so you do not have to mix your own colors again and again.
Pros and Cons of Bloodline Tattoo Ink
- These inks give you a vibrant finish to your tattoos, and the colors last a long time on the skin.
- Bloodline tattoo inks can be mixed with each other to create unique shades.
- These inks are great for practicing on fake skin as well, making it beginner-friendly.
- These inks are expensive.
Why is this the Best Tattoo Ink for Beginners?
Bloodline’s inks are one of the best in the market, it is preferred by many professionals in their work. These inks are also great for beginners who want to learn complex tattoos and techniques as they give you the best results.
The inks last on the skin for a very long time as well, so you do not have to worry about your tattoo getting muddy. So if you are a beginner who wants to start tattooing with some high-quality inks, this is the set for you.
3. Millennium Mom’s Tattoo Ink Set
Best for: Black and Gray Tattoos
Millennium Mom’s Tattoo Ink set contains three inks, black, white, and blue. The black and white inks are great for making Grey tattoos.
Many people prefer to get tattoos that are not colorful, and beginners who want to specialize in this field will definitely prefer these tattoo inks for that purpose.
These are highly pigmented inks and so you can dilute them and create different shades with them. The blue ink is also great to be mixed with black or white to create different tones.
Key Features and Specifications of Millennium Mom’s Tattoo Ink Set
- These inks are highly pigmented, so you can expect to see great results with them.
- This set of three inks is great for beginners who like to practice black and grey tattoos.
- These inks are smooth and homogenized. There is no need to shake them before use.
- Millennium Mom’s Tattoo Inks are long-lasting, so they will stay on your skin for years without fading.
Pros and Cons of Millennium Mom’s Tattoo Ink Set
- These colors are vibrant and highly pigmented so you can expect your tattoos to be bright.
- These inks are great for mixing with each other or with other inks.
- They are good for beginners as they can be used on fake skin easily.
- The inks are sterilized thoroughly so you don’t have to worry about any cross-contamination.
- It is a limited set of colors, so it’s not preferred by everyone.
Why is this the Best Tattoo Ink for Beginners?
Black and Grey tattoos are one of the oldest styles of tattoos in the industry. Earlier it was done with only black ink, but with the invention of white ink, it’s used to add highlights and to make the overall appearance of the tattoo better.
The Millennium Mom’s Tattoo ink set is perfect for this purpose, and it also comes with a blue, so it’s great for beginners who want to experiment with these colors.
4. Wormhole Tattoo Ink Set
Best for: Colorful styles of tattoos
Wormhole Tattoo Ink Set is great for beginners because of the huge collection of colors that you get in this set.
It contains 14 different colors – Lavender, Sky Blue, Smoke, Cotton Candy, Mint Green, Lime green, Graffiti Green, Triple Black, Sunflower, Bumble Bee, Golden Yellow, Light Red, Tangerine.
These are vibrant and highly saturated colors, so you can expect to make really bright tattoos with them such as new school tattoos, realism tattoos, etc. These inks are great for mixing and they can also be diluted.
Key Features and Specifications of Wormhole Tattoo Ink Set
- These inks are vegan and therefore do not contain any animal-based glycerin. This is a good option for those who do not prefer to use animal products in their studio.
- These ink colors are very long-lasting, so you can expect your tattoo to be bright even after a few years.
- The ink comes in a bottle that is specially designed to make sure that the ink does not leak.
- Wormhole Tattoo Inks are water-soluble, so they can be mixed with each other or diluted as you wish.
Pros and Cons of Wormhole Tattoo Ink Set
- The inks are finely milled, so there are no lumps and you do not have to shake the bottles to mix the ink, this is great for beginners.
- These inks are made from organic ingredients, and so they are safer than other inks. It also helps reduce the chance of allergic reactions.
- A large number of colors ensure that you do not have to mix every color by yourself, which makes it really beginner-friendly.
- These inks are a bit pricey.
Why is this Tattoo Ink is best for Beginners?
This set of 14 shades of tattoo ink from Wormhole is a great addition to any artist’s collection, including beginners. These inks are vibrant and bright, which means they are perfect for all types of colorful tattoos such as new school, Japanese, or even realism.
If you are interested in learning about super colorful and bright tattoo techniques, then this is the ink set for you.
5. Kuro Sumi Colors Tattoo Ink
Best for: Value for Money
Kuro Sumi Colors Tattoo Ink Set contains a set of 7 vibrant colors that include the primary and secondary colors. These inks are very reliable because they are highly saturated and give your tattoos a very vibrant look.
These inks come with 1/2oz bottles so you will not run out too easily. These are ideal for tattoo beginners as they provide you one of the best quality inks, but at a reasonable price.
These inks are great for practicing on fake skin as well, but you will see the full effects only on real skin.
Key Features and Benefits of Kuro Sumi Colors Tattoo Ink
- The set of seven inks contains the colors black, white, yellow, red, blue, green, and orange, so you get a good range of colors to work with.
- Kuro Sumi inks are one of the best in the market and they are highly pigmented, so you can expect your tattoo to turn out bright and vibrant.
- These inks last on your skin for a long time and it does not fade.
- Primarily made for colorful Japanese style tattoos, these inks are great for beginners who want to study colorful designs.
Pros and Cons of Kuro Sumi Colors Tattoo Ink
- These inks are vegan and do not contain any animal products. This means it can be used on everyone including those who care about animals.
- They are made from organic ingredients, so they are good for sensitive skin as well.
- The black ink is one of the blackest in the market, which allows you to create incredible black and grey shading.
- These high-quality inks can be mixed with each other, making them great for beginners.
- You get a limited amount of shades in this kit.
Why is this the Best Tattoo Ink for Beginners?
Kuro Sumi Tattoo Inks are one of the best tattoo inks in the market, so you can expect to produce really high-quality tattoos with these inks. The best part is that they are not too expensive, making it a good purchase for beginners.
These inks can be mixed to create new shades, so you do not have to buy a lot of shades to start with your tattoo career. This set of 7 inks can be considered value for money.
Comparison Table Between the Best Tattoo Inks for Beginners:
|Number of Colors||Amount of Ink||Pigmentation||Used for|
|Intenze Tattoo Ink Set||7||½ oz||Medium||Linework, Shading|
|Bloodline Tattoo Ink Set 12 colors||12||1oz||High||All Types of Color Tattoos|
|Millennium Mom’s Tattoo Ink Set||3||½ oz||High||Linework, Grey shading|
|Wormhole Tattoo Ink Set||14||½ oz||High||All types of color tattoos|
|Kuro Sumi Colors Tattoo Ink||7||½ oz||High||All types of color tattoos|
Ready to Buy Your Own Tattoo Ink Set?
Tattoo inks can be hard to choose, as you may be confused about which colors to get, or which brand to choose. However, it is not hard at all, once you understand what to look for.
The main color that every beginner must get is black, and for those who want to practice colorful tattoos, you may get a set of primary colors to get started, as you can always mix colors to produce new colors.
You may also get a set of 12 or more colors so that you do not have to mix your own colors yourself. You can choose your favorite inks from our list to get the best results.
Q. What are the most important colors for Tattoo Inks for beginners?
Every beginner must have black ink because it is used in almost every tattoo. Black ink is used for lining tattoos, adding shade to tattoos, and also making grey tattoos. So every beginner must have black ink mandatorily.
Q. Which brand of Tattoo Ink is the best?
No particular brand is better than the others, as long as it is high quality. Always check for quality in each quality and look for reviews from expert artists.
Q. How to choose the best Tattoo Ink?
The best tattoo inks are saturated, vibrant, and can be diluted and mixed. So while choosing tattoo inks, always make sure that they are highly pigmented, as it will help make your tattoos look brighter and more visible.
Q. How to dilute Tattoo Ink?
Always use distilled water in a sterile container to dilute tattoo inks. Pour your choice of ink into an ink cap and add a few drops of water, until you have reached your desired saturation.
Q. Can I mix my Tattoo Inks?
Yes, you can, most tattoo inks can be mixed with other inks to produce a new color. Tattoo artists often do this while making very colorful tattoos.
Q. Where do I pour my Tattoo Inks?
Always use a brand new ink cap to pour your tattoo ink. Make sure your ink cap is clean and sterilized before pouring in your ink.
Q. How to store my Tattoo Inks?
After you have poured your ink into the ink cap, wipe the nozzle of the ink bottle with a clean paper towel, and seal the cap on it tightly before storing it in a cool dry place.
Q. How to use my Tattoo Inks with my needles?
Pour out a few drops of ink in your ink caps before starting to tattoo. When you have set up your machine, get the machine running and then carefully dip your needle in the ink cap, making sure that your needle does not hit the sides of the cap.