Making tattoo stencils is a lot more fun if you learn how to do it. Tattoo stencils are a blessing if you are planning to do a tattoo at home. A simple tattoo stencil can help you transfer any difficult design from the paper to the area of your body you desire. In this guide, we will help you with the step-by-step process of homemade tattoo stencils.
One of the major advantages of using these is that you can expect flawless drawings on your skin. The same stencils can be used for any type of tattoos i.e., markers, inks, henna, and more.
Table of Contents
How do you make homemade tattoo stencils?
Before you begin reading the process of creating tattoo stencils, check out thethree most essential things you need to make homemade tattoo stencils:
- Stick deodorant
- Carbon paper and
- Transfer paper
Some other ingredients that will be needed in the process are:
- Ink pen with a pointed tip
- Stencil fluid
- Dip pen
- Masking tape
- Antibacterial soap
Step by Step Process:
Follow the below steps once you have all the things ready for the stencil:
- Draw your desired design on the paper. Make sure you have completed the design just the way you wanted before you begin with the stencil creation.
- After the design is ready, keep it aside.
- Place the transfer paper on a surface. Ensure that the surface is flat and doesn’t have any edges, cuts, or curves.
- Place the carbon paper on the top of the transfer paper with the ink facing the transfer paper.
- Now place your design on top of carbon paper. Your design must be on the opposite side of your carbon paper and not facing it.
- Tape the entire paper set properly and gently.
- Start tracing carefully. Be careful about the pressure and the steadiness. Use steady firm pressure so that the design is transferred properly.
- Start separating the pieces of paper and begin cutting your design.
- Use a stick deodorant on the skin to help the transfer process. Press the design on the transfer paper so that it can come onto your skin. Keep it pressed for about 30 seconds.
- Peel off the transfer paper and take it off completely from your skin.
In case you don’t understand any steps above, you can also watch videos on the web uploaded by various tattoo freaks with steps in detail.
What kind of deodorant can I use for tattoo stencils?
The Speed stick brand is most preferred. You may also choose a generic but good quality stick deodorant. You just have to be careful while covering the entire area so that the stencil drawing can easily contact the deodorant.
Your deodorant has to be good for tattoo stencils to stick effectively. We have some recommendations for you to look at.
Coming back to our discussion on what type of deodorant is suitable for tattoo stencils, we suggest you choose the one that contains glycol.
Antiperspirant deodorants won’t solve the purpose of stencil sticking onto the skin. Glycol plays a vital role to make the skin sticky so that the stencil can stick without any discomfort. Hope that helps solve your query.
What can I use instead of deodorant for tattoo stencils?
Vaseline is another alternative to deodorant in the process of tattoo stencils. Choose carbolated Vaseline on the skin. Apply a thin coat on the skin where you will be tracing transferring the design.
Check with someone who has tried this trick before and see how successful it was as different people may have different results.
We are not sure how far this trick will be successful for you as most people still prefer to stick to the stick tattoo deodorant methods.
Another alternative is to melt the speed stick in a microwave. Use a small bottle of hand sanitizer (the clear one). Add both of these together followed by a cap of green soap.
This lotion will make a stencil that will not rub off easily. If you have any confusion about the same, always do the patch test. Some people also use alcohol and water to have desired results which have worked for them.
The quality of your final design may vary as per the quality of carbon paper and stencil used. Check out a few videos of the experienced of others who have tried this method at home. It will boost up your confidence in DIYs.