Tattoos are a form of self-expression and art. They often represent individual perception, loved ones, and families. While black ink is the most common and clear color, colored ink can add a whole new dimension to the body and symbolize things that are beyond the capacity of simple black ink.
Not sure what to do when you need a specific tattoo ink color and it is not in your collection? Mix your tattoo ink for new colors. Yes, you are right, it is very possible if you follow our guide.
Tattoo ink can be diluted, made lighter and darker, it can also be mixed to get a different shade of colors. You can convert some colors to multiple colors. Use appropriate methods to avoid damaging the ink.
In this article, we will explain how to properly mix tattoo ink. Always make sure that the blender you are using is sterile, otherwise, there is a risk of your ink becoming contaminated. However, consider investing in a tattoo ink mixer if you want a great result.
Table of Contents
Popular tattoo color mixes
You can mix your inks by adding two or more colors together to create a different color.
The popular tattoo color mixes are:
- Red and yellow ink, makes orange color. The more red is added, the more reddish it becomes, the more yellow gives more yellow tint.
- Red and blue ink make purple.
- Mixing blue and yellow inks turns green.
- Yellow with red inks results in orange.
- Red and green inks turn brown.
- Green and yellow ink together make a light green or lime.
- Mixing blue and green ink turns green-blue.
- Black and white ink make gray. However, the more black you add, the darker the gray, and the more white you add, the lighter the gray.
- Red and white make pink tattoo ink color. When you add about 1 to 3 servings of red, yellow, and white you will get peach ink color.
- White can be mixed with any color.
- Brown mixes well with orange, red, yellow, and white
Choosing the right ink
Tattoo Ink plays an important role in creative designs and style. Depending on the brand and quality, you may see better results, but also a higher cost. For example, the ink that was used five years ago is not as good as some of the new inks available today.
And depending on who makes the ink, the ink contains different ingredients and different metal contents.
Here is a breakdown of the inks:
Black and blue
- These colors are the most popular for tattooing and are great for light, tanned, and black skin tones. These colors are also easiest to remove with lasers.
- If you’re not sure whether or not you are allergic to red ink, ask the tattoo artist to put a dot of red ink on your foot. It will go away faster and you will know if you are allergic or not pretty quickly. However, note that red ink fades faster than dark colors over time.
Orange, yellow and purple
- Yellow and orange can fade faster on pale skin and need to be rendered more often than darker colors. The same goes for purple. Purple can lose intensity more quickly than black or blue over time.
Blacklight and glow in the dark
- UV tattoos, also known as glow-in-the-dark tattoos, are made with ink that fluoresces under ultraviolet light (blacklight). To most people, this ink can cause allergic reactions this is more of the reason the FDA has not officially approved the use of these types of inks. If you are not sure whether you are allergic or not, ask the tattoo artist to put a small dot on your foot first.
Choosing the color for your tattoo is just as important as the image itself. The theme, size, and tone of your skin all play a role in choosing the right color and should be discussed during your consultation.
You can opt for a colorful tattoo or a black and gray black ink tattoo, with optional white ink highlights. When looking for an array of colors, your skin tone is the deciding factor in choosing the most complimentary shades: the lighter the skin, the bolder and lighter the colors appear. On the other hand, the darker the skin, the more difficult it is to highlight different shades.
What tattoo ink colors make black
Red, blue, and yellow are the three basic colors that makeup black when mixed. Just mix equal amounts of red, blue, and yellow and you get a lighter shade of black. If you use a lighter red and blue, you get a brown ink color.
Be sure to use darker colors as shown in the color chart above. If you want the black color to be a little more bluish, just add a little more blue to your color mix. Hence, if you want to get the real black, you need to follow the guide below:
A variety of compounds are used to make black tattoo ink. In general, synthetic black ink is made up of iron and carbon oxides, while natural black ink is made up of materials such as magnetite crystals, wustite, and wood. With precise skill and careful application of the correct type of black ink, a skilled tattoo artist can darken black tattoo ink.
Choose the appropriate ink for the desired black content of the tattoo. Some inks, such as those made from large particle size pigments, do not penetrate deeply into the skin but appear darker near the surface.
Choose a needle that best fits the type of ink you have chosen. For example, inks with larger particle pigments require a medium taper needle.
Hold the needle at a low angle and make the stroke longer. With a low angle, you tattoo a series of much darker layers rather than a shallow angle perpendicular to the skin.
Also, keep in mind that you may have to spend more time using less pigmented inks while still using a faster machine. In fact, with less pigmented ink, you put less pigment into the skin with each stroke.
Install lots of small ink caps for dark black tattoos instead of one large ink cap, especially if the tattoo is large. If you continuously dip into the same ink cap, blood particles can contaminate the ink supply by diluting it and adding coagulants, causing the ink to clump into the skin that does not penetrate easily.
Check out other tattoo artists about the successful dark black tattoos they have done. Ask what black ink they are using and what method they used. Looking at different portfolios and chatting with fellow experts in the field can help you darken the black tattoos you’re working on.
What colors make gold tattoo ink?
The gold color is on the warmer side of the color wheel. However, one of the basics is brown, which is considered a neutral shade. But what colors make tattoo ink gold? You need to mix the yellow and brown.
If you mix the two colors of yellow and brown, you get a golden color. In the simplest case, gold can be produced with just these two colors.
Unlike traditional black tattoo ink, which leaves a lasting memory on your skin, gold tattoo ink can be easily removed at any time.
The beautiful and unique look of this ink is the perfect accessory for a festival, pool party, wedding, or just a fun day at the beach.
The gold material consists of a very thin layer of high-quality metal foil that can be easily transferred onto your skin with water, similar to the tattoo transfer paper used by tattoo artists. Similar to a temporary tattoo in the concept, the design appears on the skin for weeks.
What colors make turquoise tattoo inks?
It is difficult to identify the different shades of blue in the tattoo ink. Many colors look like blue but have a completely different wavelength than blue. Some are darker or lighter shades of blue.
What colors make tattoo inks turquoise? Turquoise is a turquoise gem. It consists of a mixture of blue and light green.
Turquoise lies between blue and green in the color spectrum. It is important to mix the color of your tattoo ink instead of buying it as it can get expensive.
What colors make pink tattoo ink?
Red and white make pink tattoo ink. When you add about 1 to 3 servings of red, yellow, and white, peach ink comes into play.
A professional can create their tattoo ink by combining two or more colors. Mixing is a great way to convert some colors into multiple shades. The only thing to remember is to use proper mixing methods to avoid ink deterioration.
The main rule for successful mixing is to only mix with sterile tools. Violating this important rule can create a major color cross-contamination problem. If you would like to mix ink, investing in an ink mixer is ideal to achieve great results.