Tattoo Artistry is getting more and more common every day. So, as the demand for tattoos rises, artists are also using newer and better equipment. However, the older machines have not gone out of fashion yet, and there is a very good reason for that.
Whether you choose a traditional Coil machine or you opt for a Rotary machine, you can achieve absolutely beautiful artwork with both types of tattoo guns. In this article, we will look at the two different types of tattoo machines and we will compare and contrast them.
Rotary Tattoo Machines Vs Coil Tattoo Machines
Key Differences Between Rotary Machines and Coil Machines:
|Key Features||Rotary Tattoo Machine||Coil Tattoo Machine|
|Versatility||Rotary Machines can accommodate both liner and shader needles, so you don’t have to have two different machines for different purposes.||Coil Machines are of two types, one is for lining, one is for shading. So a tattoo artist would need two different coil machines for lining and shading.|
|Weight||Rotary Machines use a single motor, so these machines are usually significantly lighter in comparison.||Coil Machines are heavier in comparison as they use two coils to produce the movement of the needle.|
|Needle Types||Rotary Machines can be of two types. One type uses regular long needles, while the other type uses cartridge needles. Some machines can be adapted to acquire both types of needles.||Coil Machines always use regular long needles.|
|Noise||Rotary machines produce a light humming noise, however, it is much lower than a coil machine.||Coil machines produce a constant buzzing noise as it uses the electromagnetic force between the two coils.|
|Vibrations||Rotary machines do not vibrate too much.||Coil machines vibrate quite a bit.|
|Tattoo Types||Rotary Machines are good for all types of tattoos but they are especially good for small or fine line tattoos.||Coil Machines are also great for all types of tattoos, but they are best for bold lines, color packing, etc.|
When Should You Use a Rotary Tattoo Machine?
Rotary Machines are relatively new in the market; however, they have already made an impact on the users.
They don’t vibrate too much, they have much lower noise levels, and they are overall more user-friendly. So, when is it best to use a Rotary Tattoo Machine?
- If you are going for a delicate or small tattoo, which requires utmost precision, a rotary machine will perform much better than a coil machine. Since these machines vibrate way less, they produce much more precise lines and gives your tattoo the proper depth that is required. If you are using cartridge needles with your machine, then you can also adjust the depth of the needle, which, once again, gives you better control for small tattoos.
- If you are tattooing on someone with sensitive skin, or you are tattooing in an area of the body which has thin skin, you must make sure that your tattoo will heal properly. This is when a rotary machine works way better than a coil machine. Rotary machines produce softer strokes and do not pierce the skin too aggressively, this ensures that the skin heals properly afterward.
- If you are working for a very long time, then your hands are bound to get tired. However, with a rotary machine, you can expect to get less tired as it produces way fewer vibrations. So, if you are working on a long session, then using a rotary machine will definitely be the choice for most artists.
When Should You Use a Coil Machine?
Coil machines may seem outdated, but they are very useful in many scenarios. Coil machines are a bit heavier, noisier, but they are very efficient. In some cases, much more efficient than a Rotary machine.
- While working on a large tattoo, many artists prefer a Coil Machine. A coil machine makes the work significantly faster and it helps pack more ink into the skin at once.
- If you are color packing, a coil machine works way more efficiently than a rotary machine, coil machines force the color into the skin, which may lead to a longer tattoo healing process, but the results are amazing.
- Coil machines can accommodate large needles. So if you are working on a large area that requires shading, then coil machines are perfect for that. You can attach a relatively big magnum needle to it and you will still be able to work smoothly.
Top 3 Coil Tattoo Machines
1. Redscorpion Coil Tattoo Machine [Best Price]
Redscorpion Coil Tattoo Machine comes with two coil machines for lining and shading.
This powerful duo can be used for all types of tattoos, but they work best for big and bold tattoos.
You can achieve thick lines, and saturated colors with these machines while having a smooth working experience.
These two Coil tattoo machines feature 10 wrap coils for the shader and 8 wrap coil for the liner respectively. If you are looking for a pair of amazing Coil machines on a budget, then this is the perfect one for you.
Key Features and Specifications of Redscorpion Coil Tattoo Machine
- These tattoo machines do not overheat even after a full day of work.
- These machines can run at a speed of 2500 to 2800 rpm.
- Made with a strong metal alloy, these machines can withstand heavy work, and provide you a smooth experience.
- The machines produce a soft stroke, allowing the skin to heal properly.
2. Dragonhawk 2pcs Brass Coils Tattoo Machines [Value for Money]
Dragonhawk 2pcs Brass Coils Tattoo Machines are a powerful pair.
They are made from brass, and they can easily be used for a whole day.
The liner has 8 wrap coils, whereas the shader has 10 wrap coils.
These provide the perfect speed for working comfortably, yet efficiently. These powerful machines are great for anyone looking for a feature-loaded machine at a reasonable price.
Key Features and Specifications of Dragonhawk 2pcs Brass Coils Tattoo Machines:
- The frame of this machine is made from brass, which makes this machine resilient to damage.
- Both of these machines run on a voltage between 7C to 8V.
- These machines are built quite strongly, hence allowing you to work with them for years.
- These machines fits any standard regular needles.
3. STIGMA Tattoo Coil Machine [Best Features]
STIGMA Tattoo Coil Machine is a premium pair of coil tattoo machines that are powerful yet loaded with the best features.
They are made from imported Italian steel and high-quality copper.
These machines are resilient to fatigue and you can work with them for up to 8 hours non-stop.
If you are looking for a machine that works like a beast and lasts for years with no damage, then this machine is perfect for you.
Key Features and Specifications of STIGMA Tattoo Coil Machine
- These machines are resistant to damage, as they are made from high-quality iron and copper.
- You can work with these for up to 8 hours with no resistance or overheating.
- These machines have a strong force that helps deliver the ink under the skin more efficiently.
- STIGMA Tattoo Coil Machines uses standard long needles.
Top 3 Rotary Tattoo Machines
1. Mast Flash Rotary Tattoo Machine [Value for Money]
Mast Flash Rotary Tattoo Machine is a powerful Rotary machine that is not only sleek but also very efficient.
It has an adjustable needle protrusion, which allows you to change the depth of the needle with a simple turn.
It has an advanced gear system that provides a noise-free and smooth working experience. The machine is flexible and lightweight, making it great for long work hours.
Key Features and Specifications of Mast Flash Rotary Tattoo Machine:
- This tattoo machine is only compatible with cartridge needles.
- You can adjust the length of the needle that is visible. The range is from 0mm to 4.5mm.
- The machine comes with a 1inch thick grip, which can be turned to easily change the depth of the needle.
- Mast Flash Rotary Tattoo Machine has an ergonomic design, and low vibrations, allowing you to work with it for a long time.
2. Dragonhawk Falcon Rotary Tattoo Machine [Best Features]
Dragonhawk Falcon Rotary Tattoo Machine is one of the best Rotary tattoo machines in the market as it features some of the most exceptional features.
It has all the benefits of the coil machine, but it works like a rotary machine.
It works on a relatively low voltage while retaining a high speed of 10000RPM. The Dragonhawk Falcon Rotary Tattoo Machine features a coreless motor, which is not only quiet but works efficiently for hours.
If you are looking for a feature-heavy machine, this is the perfect one for you.
Key Features and Specifications of Dragonhawk Falcon Rotary Tattoo Machine:
- This machine can accommodate both cartridge needles as well as regular needles.
- Its powerful coreless motor can work at a speed of 10000Rpm, without overheating or any resistance.
- It has a stroke length of 4.0mm. You can adjust the needle length manually.
- This machine works at a voltage between 4V to 8V.
3. STIGMA Professional Rotary Tattoo Machine [Best Price]
STIGMA Professional Rotary Tattoo Machine has an ergonomic design that fits right into your palm.
This machine features a high-quality motor that keeps the machine running smoothly without any resistance for hours.
It is lightweight and does not vibrate too much, making it comfortable to work with. It is compatible with most power supplies, and works at a low voltage, helping you save power.
Overall this is a good Rotary machine if you are on a tight budget.
Key Features and Specifications of STIGMA Professional Rotary Tattoo Machine
- This machine is compatible with regular needles.
- The body of the machine is made from Zinc and Aluminum alloy.
- It weighs only 214 grams, which means it’s very lightweight.
- STIGMA Professional Rotary Tattoo Machine is a durable machine that will last you a few years.
When choosing a tattoo machine, you must first ask yourself what type of tattoo you specialize in. These two types of tattoo machines are good for different types of tattoos.
While Coil machines are great for traditional tattoo styles, Rotary machines are more suited for modern tattoo art styles. However, which machine you will choose will also depend upon your personal preference.
Some artists find that they have better control over a coil machine, while some artists feel that a rotary machine gives them better control. So we cannot tell you which machine to choose, as it is completely up to you.