As a beginner, it may be difficult for you to understand what to buy for your first tattoo kit. This is why several companies offer a pre-assembled tattoo beginner’s kit so that you do not have to buy everything individually and you can easily get everything at once.
A beginner’s kit is intended for new tattoo artists who are still practicing. Students can use the materials in these kits for practicing on fake skin and to learn how to tattoo properly.
Tattoo supplies can also get quite expensive if they are bought separately, so a complete beginner kit is an economic way of getting all the necessary supplies.
Top 5 Tattoo Kits for Beginners: Best By Features
Buyer Guide : Key Factors to Consider Before Buying a Tattoo Kit for Beginners
1. Tattoo Machine
Most Tattoo Beginner’s kit comes with a Tattoo Machine, already included. Since there are different types of tattoo machines available in the market, each kit comes with different machines. You must consider the type of machine you are getting in your kit, as it will determine how you practice.
The most common type of tattoo machine is a coil machine, they use long needles, and require a long needle installation process. These machines are quite powerful and they need to be controlled using a power supply, so usually, a power supply is also included in the kit. Sometimes a foot pedal is also included, which is connected to the power supply and helps control the machine.
Another type of Tattoo Machine is a rotary tattoo machine, which also uses long needles, but they do not vibrate as much as coil machines, and so they are easier to use. They also have a less complicated needle installation process. These machines also require a power supply and can be attached with a foot pedal.
The most modern type of tattoo machine is the pen-style rotary machine. These machines use cartridge needles, and they require the minimum effort for needle installation.
These machines are very compact and they do not vibrate a lot, making these the most comfortable machines to work with. These types of machines also use a power supply but usually, a foot pedal is not needed.
Beginner kits may come with any of these machines, so you need to choose carefully, and choose the machine that you want to practice with.
2. Tattoo Machines for Lining and Shading
Traditional tattoo machines that use long needles, especially coil machines, sometimes need different machines for lining and shading. The machines that are used for lining a tattoo are usually much slower than the machine used for shading.
The shading guns need more force as there is a greater number of needles. This is why some kits will come with multiple machines so that they can be used for lining and shading.
Modern tattoo machines that use cartridge needles usually do not require different machines, and they can be controlled directly through the power supply.
3. Tattoo Needles
The needles in a beginner’s tattoo kit is one of the most important parts. A beginner needs to practice with several different types of needles to gain experience, therefore a tattoo kit must include a few different types of tattoo needles. Tattoo needles can either be long metal needles or cartridge needles.
The type of needle you get in your kit will depend upon the type of tattoo machine that you get in your kit. Both types of needles are equally effective but cartridge needles require significantly less effort to install than long needles.
As you may know, tattoo needles come in many different sizes, some are used for lining, while some are used for shading. The main types of tattoo needles are Round Liners(RL), Round Shaders (RS), Magnum (M1), Curved Magnum (RM), and Flat(F).
Every beginner tattoo kit should include Round Liners, Round Shaders, and Magnum needles, the other needles are optional, but it is always better if the kit includes more needles.
4. Type of Needles
As mentioned earlier needles are mainly of two types- long needles and cartridge needles. Long needles are used by traditional machines, and they require a lot more effort to install than cartridge needles.
Cartridge needles simply need to be attached to the machine and wrapped with a medical tape. Long needles on the other hand need to be attached, then a separate grip has to be attached on it, after that you will need to attach a rubber band on the back so that the needle does not move.
A grommet will be attached between the machine and the grip for the needle. Then the whole thing has to be wrapped with a medical tape. Therefore when a beginner is getting started, they can use a machine that has cartridge needles, that way they can skip the long and tedious installation process.
5. Tattoo Inks
Some kits will come with red, blue, yellow, back, and white inks, which are the basic colors that can be mixed to get other colors. Some kits may also include a wide variety of inks, which is very beneficial for beginners as it helps them learn about color tattoos in more detail.
6. Ink Caps
Although it may seem trivial, having enough ink caps is very important for every tattoo artist. Each ink needs to be poured out into a clean ink cap so that the ink does not get contaminated.
Ink caps are also supposed to be used only once per client, so a tattoo artist goes through them fairly easily. A beginner who is learning about new tattoos every day definitely needs a lot of ink caps, so it is important to find a kit that includes them.
7. Extra Accessories
Every Beginner tattoo kit should contain a pair of gloves, medical tape, transfer paper, etc to help the beginner get an idea of how to use these instruments.
Some tattoo kits also include a fake skin to practice on, which is very helpful for beginners, as it gives them a safe way to practice their craft without hurting anyone.
The tattoo kits that come with the traditional tattoo machines usually also come with Allen keys, gromets, and rubber bands, all of which are needed for properly installing the needle in the machine.
8. Ease of Use
Some beginner’s kits are easier to use than others. Depending upon the type of machine included in the box, it can be very easy, or it can take a learning curve. Generally coil machines are harder to use, while rotary machines and pen machines are easier to use.
A practice skin is a great addition for beginners as it allows them to safely practice first. It is a silicone layer that acts like skin and so beginners can use it for practicing their skills first before tattooing on real skin.
Beginner Guide : How to Use Your Beginner’s Tattoo Kit?
- The first step to using your tattoo kit will be to unpack all the materials. If any material is lacking, definitely get replacements for them.
- If a practice skin is provided, place it in front of you at a comfortable distance on a table or a hard surface. If it is not provided, you must get one.
- To set up your machine, first, connect the power supply to a power outlet and turn it on. Attach the clip cord and foot pedal (if any), and attach your machine to it.
- Before turning it on, you must install the needle onto your machine. To do this, tear open the packet of sterilized needles and attach the needle according to the instructions.
- Wrap the needles with a medical band to give you a better grip.
- Now it is time to prepare your ink before you start tattooing. Take a few ink cups and pour out a few drops of ink into each cap. Pour all the inks that you need, and then wipe the head of the bottles with a paper towel and close them immediately.
- You must wash your hands before starting to tattoo, every time. After washing your hands, you must wear the sterilized rubber gloves provided in the kit.
- Now if you wish to transfer a stencil, follow the guidelines and transfer your design onto the fake skin.
- Now you should turn on your tattoo machine and set the voltage according to the instructions. Dip your needle tip carefully into the cap with ink, this will fill the cartridge or the needle tip with ink. Now you can start tattooing on your fake skin.
- After you have done tattooing a certain section, you can wipe away the excess ink with a paper towel.
- When the tattoo is complete, you can clean the fake skin with soapy water, this way your tattoo will appear clean and crisp.
- Practice on fake skin extensively before you tattoo on actual skin.
Top 5 Best Beginner’s Tattoo Kits
1. Autdor Tattoo Kit – Complete Tattoo Machine Kit
Best For: Coil Machine Kit that includes everything.
Autdor Tattoo Kit is a complete beginner’s tattoo kit that includes everything you need for getting started with your tattoos. It includes two coil machines, both can be used for lining and shading. It also contains a power supply with dual ports for both machines.
A clip cord and a foot pedal are contained as well, for easy use. The kit comes with multiple needles and needle grips which helps beginners learn how to use each of them.
Autdor Tattoo Kit includes a set of high-quality inks, which can give a beginner tattoo artist a good idea about how to use different inks. This kit also includes other necessary accessories that are required for tattooing. This is a perfect beginner’s kit for tattooing.
Key Features and Specifications for Autdor Tattoo Kit:
- This Tattoo Kit includes everything you need as a beginner. It contains two coil machines, power supply, clip cord, needles, needle accessories, rubber gloves, inks, ink cups, transfer paper, etc.
- The two coil machines included 10 wrap coils, it is made from high-quality iron and they minimize the number of vibrations, helping you keep your hand steady for long.
- It includes 7 different inks, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Purple, Black, White, giving a beginner lots of options to work with.
- This kit contains 20 needles in total. 5 each of 1003RL, 1005RL, 1205M1, 1207M1 needles.
- A silicone practice skin is provided, which is perfect for beginners as they need to practice extensively.
Pros and Cons of Autdor Tattoo Kit:
- A silicone practice skin is included in the kit, which is perfect for beginners to practice on, as it is safer than practicing on real skin.
- Two tattoo machines are included in the kit, so you can simultaneously use them for lining and shading.
- The power supply is of high quality and it has a LED screen to indicate the voltage.
- Tattoo machines require adjustments, so a toolkit is included for doing so.
- There are only two types of needles, so one would need to buy more needles separately.
- Only one tattoo transfer paper is included, which is not enough for a beginner.
Why is this Tattoo Kit Best for Beginners?
This kit contains a traditional coil tattoo machine. If you want to start practicing with a coil machine then this is the perfect kit for you. Coil machines are what most tattoo artists start working with at the beginning of their career.
Although these machines require quite a bit of adjustment and effort for installing the needles, yet these classic coil machines will deliver the result that you are looking for. This kit also includes most other components that are required for a beginner to learn tattooing.
2. STIGMA Complete Tattoo Kit Pro Tattoo Machine Kit Rotary Tattoo Machine
Best For: Rotary Machine kit with necessary items.
STIGMA Complete Tattoo Kit contains a Rotary Machine that uses long needles. This is why this kit also comes with a clip cord, power supply, and extra grips. The kit includes several needles and inks as well.
This tattoo kit is quite minimalist, and it does not contain a lot of extra accessories, but it comes with all the most essential components. The machine can be used with any type of needle, whether it is a liner needle or a shader needle.
The kit is CE certified and therefore all the materials are approved for being good quality.
Key Features and Specifications of STIGMA Complete Tattoo Kit:
- This kit includes a 10-watt rotary machine which is powerful enough for all types of needles. Different voltages are recommended for different needles.
- There are 20 needles in this kit. 5 pieces each of 3RL,5RL,3RS,5RS needles are included.
- Five high-quality inks are included in the kit. The colors are Yellow, Blue, Red, Black and White.
- This kit also includes ink caps, rubber gloves, and a few transfer papers. These materials come inside of a sturdy box, making it easy to travel with it.
- STIGMA Complete Tattoo Kit contains a rotary tattoo machine. It is easy to attach needles to this type of machine, so it is perfect for beginners.
Pros and Cons of STIGMA Complete Tattoo Kit:
- This is a minimalist kit, it includes all the essentials and comes in a compact case, therefore it is perfect for those who want to carry around their equipment.
- Rotary machines require minimal maintenance, and the needle installation process is easier as well. This is why rotary machine kits are perfect for beginners.
- Only one machine is enough for attaching different types of needles, making the kit less complicated.
- The high-quality inks included in the kit is perfect for beginners to use on practice skin as well as real skin.
- The kit does not include a practice skin for beginners.
- There are only 2 types of needles included, so you will require to buy more.
Why is this Tattoo Kit Best for Beginners?
If you wish to work with a Rotary machine then this is a good beginner’s kit for you. Rotary machines require significantly less effort for installing needles, and therefore they are perfect for beginners.
This tattoo kit comes with the needles and needle attachments as well, so you will not have to worry about installing the needles. Overall this kit is for those who want to use a rotary machine.
3. Wormhole Cartridge Tattoo Kit for Beginners
Best for: Cartridge Needles
Wormhole Cartridge Tattoo Kit comes with a Tattoo Pen, which is a modern rotary machine that is in the shape of a pen. These machines are the easiest to use, and they are also the most comfortable to hold.
The Wormhole Tattoo Pen requires a power supply and a DC cord, which are included in the kit. It also comes with a foot pedal which helps you control the machine with your foot.
These machines allow you to adjust the length of the needle so that you can make sure the right amount of ink is going into the skin. The kit also includes a high number of needles, and all the other accessories required by beginners for tattooing.
Key Features and Specifications of Wormhole Cartridge Tattoo Kit:
- The kit includes 40 needles in total. It contains 3RL, 5RL, 5RM, 7RM, 5M1 needles of varying numbers.
- Wormhole Pen Tattoo Machine has an ergonomic style, which is easy to hold and to work with. It does not vibrate very much, so you can keep working for long hours. It also requires very minimal needle installation.
- This kit contains two practice sheets, one completely blank and one patterned. This is perfect for beginners.
- This kit includes a large bottle of black ink, as it is the most commonly required ink. It also comes with 10 other random colored inks.
- It also includes 5 transfer papers, gloves, ink cups, tattoo grip covers, and other necessary items.
Pros and Cons of Wormhole Cartridge Tattoo Kit:
- A huge number of needles are included in this kit, so you will not need to get extra needles for practice.
- It comes with ink caps with a flat end so that you do not spill any ink from them.
- The power supply has two ports so you can attach a different machine in the same power supply as well.
- Two practice skin is included, making it ideal for beginners to practice safely.
- Even though the number of needles is high, it lacks variety.
Why is this Tattoo Kit Best for Beginners?
Wormhole Cartridge Tattoo Kit contains a Tattoo Pen Machine, so if you want to use a Tattoo Pen Machine then this is the perfect kit for you. Along with the machine, 40 needles are included in this kit.
There are 5 types of needles in total, which is a good variety to work with. You will not run out of needles easily and since Cartridge needles are easy to work with, so it is great for beginners.
4. Dragonhawk Cartridge Tattoo Machine Atom Pen Kit
Best For: Pen Tattoo Machine Kit with everything needed.
Dragonhawk Cartridge Tattoo Machine Atom Pen Kit contains one of their best machines, which is called “Atom”. This is a Pen Tattoo Machine, and it uses cartridge needles.
This machine allows you to adjust the needle depth by simply rotating the back part of the machine. It also comes with a foot pedal, which helps you control the machine easily.
These types of Pen Tattoo Machines do not require a lot of effort for installing needles into the machine. This kit comes with several cartridge needles as well, which fit perfectly with the machine. Inks, Ink caps, tattoo grip cover, etc. are also included in the kit, so it is a good beginner’s kit.
Key Features and Specifications of Dragonhawk Cartridge Tattoo Machine Atom Pen Kit:
- This kit comes with seven high-quality inks in the colors red, yellow, blue, black, and white.
- Atom is one the best pen tattoo machines, you can adjust the needle length easily and you can control it with a foot pedal.
- This beginner’s tattoo kit is a minimalistic one, it contains all the essential components.
- The kit also includes ink cups and a grip cover for easy installation of needles.
Pros and Cons of Dragonhawk Cartridge Tattoo Machine Atom Pen Kit:
- This machine can accommodate both liner and shader needles, so no need for getting a separate machine.
- The foot pedal offers better control over your machine, making it easier for beginners.
- This machine is easy to use, requires very little effort to install and it does not vibrate much, so it is easy to hold for a long time.
- The cartridge needles are of good quality.
- You only get 20 needles of 2 types.
Why is this Tattoo Kit Best for Beginners?
Dragonhawk Cartridge Tattoo Machine Atom Pen Kit includes one of their best Pen Tattoo Machines, and therefore this kit is ideal for those who want to work with a Pen Tattoo Machine.
The kit also includes cartridge needles, which are easy to install. A foot pedal, power supply, and clip cord are also included so you can work with the machines more easily. This kit includes most of the essentials while being minimalist.
5. Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit
Best For: Overall Value for Money Kit
Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit includes a lot of different components required for a beginner for tattooing. It comes with two tattoo machines, both of which are coil machines. A power supply is provided, which has two ports so that you can plug in both the machines together.
One of the machines is good for lining, while the other is good for shading. Apart from the two machines, this kit also includes a huge variety of inks in different colors. Several needles, ink caps, O- rings, grommets, rubber bands, needle grips, gloves, and Allen keys are also included in this kit.
Overall this tattoo kit is value for money as it contains everything you may need while being reasonably priced.
Key Features and Specifications of Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit:
- 14 colorful inks are included in the kit along with a large bottle of black ink. As black ink is most frequently used, having more of it is great for beginners.
- A box of 20 needles is provided in the kit.
- Both the machines can be plugged into one power supply and they have also included a foot pedal, which makes it easier to control the machines.
- 100 ink caps are provided in the kit, so you will not run out of them easily. Some ink cups are color-coded so that you do not get confused.
- Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit comes with a few grip cleaners and Allen keys to attach the needles to the machine. These components are crucial for keeping your machine in a good condition.
Pros and Cons of Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit:
- The inclusion of two machines, one for lining and one for shading helps a beginner save time, as it can take a long time to install needles.
- 15 different colored inks are great for practicing color tattoos. A large bottle of black ink is also quite appreciated.
- This kit has 100 ink caps, so you will not run out of them easily. The color-coded ones are also great for making sure that they do not get accidentally mixed up.
- A tattoo transfer paper is included in the kit.
- You get 20 tattoo needle tips for each needle.
- Only 20 tattoo needles are included, so you will run out easily. The needles also lack variety.
- No practice skin is included.
Why is this Tattoo Kit Best for Beginners?
Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit is a complete beginner’s kit that not only includes everything needed but also is affordable. This is a coil machine kit, which means that it requires a few components to attach the needles to the machine.
Those attachments are included in the kit, making it ideal for beginners. A large number of inks, different needles, and a transfer sheet is also great for beginners to start with. It only lacks a practice skin, however, that is a minor inconvenience. Overall this kit is value for money.
Comparison of Top 5 Best Tattoo Kits for Beginners
|Machine Type||Types and Numbers of Needles||Number of Inks||Practice Skin Included||Accessories Included|
|Autdor Tattoo Kit – Complete Tattoo Machine Kit||Coil Machine (2 units)||20 Needles – 1003RL, 1005RL, 1205M1, 1207M1||7||Yes||Yes|
|STIGMA Complete Tattoo Kit Pro||Rotary Machine||20 Needles – 3RL,5RL,3RS,5RS||5||No||Yes|
|Wormhole Cartridge Tattoo Kit for Beginners||Pen Tattoo Machine||40 Needles – 3RL, 5RL, 5RM, 7RM, 5M1||11||Yes||Yes|
|Dragonhawk Cartridge Tattoo Machine Atom Pen Kit||Pen Tattoo Machine||20 Needles – Round Liner and Magnum||7||No||Yes|
|Solong Tattoo Complete Starter Beginner Tattoo Kit||Coil Machine (2 units)||20 Needles – Round Liner and Magnum||15||No||Yes|
Get Started with Tattoo Kit:
Beginners may not always understand what they need to buy to start tattooing, this is why buying a beginner’s tattoo kit is a good option. While choosing a beginner’s kit, the first thing you should decide is the type of machine that you want to use.
There are three main types of machines, so first you must decide the type of machine you want to work with. Whatever machine you choose, the needles and accessories will come accordingly.
With the help of a beginner’s kit, one can practice first to gain experience and skills. Once you are skilled you can move on to tattooing on real skin. Beginner’s kits therefore always help tattoo artists learn in a better way.
Q. Do Beginner’s Tattoo Kits include everything?
Most Tattoo Beginners’ kits include the most important components, such as the tattoo machines, needles, inks, and some accessories for attaching the needle to the machine. However, everything may not always be included in the kits. Sometimes, even if everything is included, there isn’t enough in quantity, so you may need to get extras separately.
Q. What do I need to buy extra?
Beginner’s Tattoo Kits may not come with enough Needles, and needle accessories, so it is a good idea to buy some extra needles separately.
Q. What are the most important components of a Tattoo Kit?
A Beginner’s tattoo kit must include a tattoo machine and power supply to connect it with. It must also come with needles and inks.
Q. Which Needles will I get in my Kit?
Which needles you will receive will depend upon which tattoo machine you will be getting in your kit. If you use a traditional coil machine or a rotary machine, then you will get long metal needles, however, if you use a pen tattoo machine then you will get cartridge needles.
Q. What is a Practice Skin?
Tattoos are permanent, so beginners are recommended to use a practice skin to learn how to tattoo first, before applying their skills on real skin. Practice skin is typically made from silicone, it feels and acts like real skin, but you will not need to worry about making mistakes as it is made for practice.